WITH 17 FOLIO ARCHITECTURAL ENGRAVINGS
(NARDI, Luigi). Descrizione Antiquario-Architettonica Con Rami Dell’Arco Di Augusto Ponte Di Tiberio E Tempio Malatestiano Di Rimino. Rimini: Marsoner e Grandi, 1813. Folio, modern half blue morocco, raised bands, red morocco spine label, marbled edges; pp. 81. $1800.
First edition, with 17 folio architectural plates (four folding) of Roman and Renaissance buildings in Rimini.
Featuring detailed plans of Rimini’s three most notable works of architecture: the Arch of Augustus, built in 27 BC, the Bridge of Tiberius (also known as the “devil’s bridge” after ancient tales in which the Emperor agreed to give the soul of the first one across the bridge to the devil in exchange for his help in building it), and the Tempio Malatestiano, built in the 15th century by the great Renaissance architectural theorist Alberti as his first attempt to apply his theories to the practice of architecture.
Only minor foxing to plates, text bright and clean.