"THIS ARSENAL WILL BE THE GRAND ORDNANCE MANUFACTURING ESTABLISHMENT IN THE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY, ERECTED AT GREAT EXPENSE TO THE UNITED STATES": A HISTORY OF THE ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL, 1877, EXTENSIVELY ILLUSTRATED WITH LARGE FOLDING PLATES
FLAGLER, Major D.W. A History of the Rock Island Arsenal from its Establishment in 1863 to December 1876; and of the Island of Rock Island, the Site of the Arsenal, from 1804 to 1863. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1877. Quarto, original dark red morocco gilt rebacked, raised bands, marbled endpapers and edges. $2800.
First edition, with 14 large folding plates (including frontispiece) and a photographic plate displaying Fort Armstrong on Rock Island shorty before the Civil War.
Situated in the Mississippi River, Rock Island served as a prison for Confederate soldiers for two years during the Civil War, after which it was transformed into arsenal; to this day, it remains the largest government-owned weapons manufacturing arsenal in the United States. D.W. Flagler, author of this work, took charge of the facility in 1871 and was the most important force in transforming it into the central player in armaments production. The numerous folding plates in this work include maps of the island and a number of building plans and elevations. Published by the U.S. government, this work is identified on the half title as "Ordnance Memoranda, No. 20."
Interior fine, one folding plate with expert paper repair.