LARGE 18TH-CENTURY MAP DELINEATING THE WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER
ANDREWS, John. The Hundreds of Preston, Wingham and Cornilo; The Hundreds of Beusburough. [Segments of the] Topographical Map of the County of Kent. London: Dury and Herbert, 1769. Two of 25 original hand-colored sheets, together measuring 28 by 38 inches, closely framed. $800.
Two original hand-colored sheets from John Andrews’ large-scale map of Kent, these segments depicting the shore from Sandwich to Dover.
By an Act of Parliament, London booksellers Andrew Dury and William Herbert were engaged to produce this enormous topographical map of County Kent, “in 25 sheets, on a scale of two inches to a mile, from an actual survey, in which are expressed all the roads, lanes, churches, towns, villages, noblemen and gentlemen’s seats, roman roads, hills, rivers, woods, cottages [and] every thing remarkable in the county; together with the division of the lathes [and] their subdivision into hundreds.” It was engraved by John Andrews, who described himself in the directories of the time as a “geographer, land surveyor, map seller and engraver.” This pair of sheets includes the towns of Sandwich, Deal and Dover, and delineates the famous cliffs from Walmer Castle to the Dover Watch House. The Downs is colored, but the Strait of Dover is not. Tooley, 77.
Only the slightest soiling. Nearly fine condition.