"A WELL CONSTRUCTED AND WELL REGULATED CANAL WOULD BE EXTREMELY BENEFICIAL TO THE CITY OF WASHINGTON": THE WASHINGTON CITY CANAL, 1802
(U.S. CONGRESS) (DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA). Report on the Petition of Sundry Inhabitants of the City of Washington and District of Columbia, Referred on the 19th Ultimo. 9th February, 1802. [Washington, 1802]. Slim octavo, original printed self-wrappers, uncut; pp. 7. $200.
First edition of this report on a petition to Congress to open a canal in Washington, DC, to connect the Eastern Branch and the Potomac River, according to the plan initially laid out for the city by President Washington.
This petition called for an act of Congress incorporating a company for the purpose of opening a canal to unite the Potomac River and the Eastern Branch, through Tyber Creek and the low ground at the foot of Capitol Hill. Two lotteries are called for in this petition to fund the construction. The Washington City Canal operated from 1815 until the mid-1850s, connecting the Anacostia River, called the "Eastern Branch" at that time, to Tiber Creek, the Potomac River, and later the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (C&O). The canal fell into disuse in the late 19th century, however, and the city government covered over or filled in various sections. Shaw & Shoemaker 3440.